Kids Summer Calendar

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Homemade Kool Aid Play Doh

Homemade Kool Aid Play Doh

We officially have a new baby at our house and it's been a bitterly cold winter so we've been spending a lot of time inside.  One of my favorite things to do with the kids lately is to make home made play doh with the bigger kids so I can also spend time with the newest member of our family.  The kids enjoy making it almost as much as they like playing with it & only costs about $1-$1.50 a batch so we have made several colors/flavors!

Here is a wonderful recipe I got from a fellow mom and friend:

 2.5 cups of flour (probably closer to 3 or even 3.5)
1/2 cup salt
1 tablespoon Alum
3 tablespoons cooking oil
2 cups boiling water
packet of Kool Aid (or food coloring)

Combine flour, salt & alum. Add oil & Kool Aid to boiling water and stir, then pour over flour mixture and mix.
I used an electric mixer but you can also stir with a spoon and then knead with hands. If mixture is sticky, add small amounts of flour until you can use a cookie cutter and it comes out clean. I added about 1/2 cup of flour and it seemed to form a nice ball and sort of fell off the mixer attachment.

One thing I love about this mixture is that if the play doh gets a little dried out, you can just add a little water and knead it with your hands and it springs right back.  I have been storing it in gallon zip bags and they work great.

I am such a fan of this play doh that I am even going to make a variety of colors/flavors and divide them to use as party favors for my son's birthday with preschool friends.

Here's a link to the Kool Aid website with an alternate recipe:
https://fb.kraftapps.com/koolaidshake/Content/pdfs/Kool-Aid-Play-Dough.pdf
This recipe has more intensely colored play doh but makes about 1/3 of the recipe I posted.  I have been wanting to try adding two packets of Kool Aid to my friend's recipe for more intense color but haven't tried it yet.

Color Guide:
Red - Cherry, Fruit Punch
Pink - Pink Lemonade
Orange - Orange
Yellow - Lemonade
Green - Lemon Lime
Pale Green - Green Apple
Light Mint Green - Blue Raspberry Lemonade
Blue - Mixed Berry
Purple - Grape


No comments:

Post a Comment